Minutes of the Interim Committee Meeting
Held January 4, 2012 at Waverley Bridge Club
Meeting opened: 2.30 p.m.
Present: Arthur Robbins, Quentin van Abbe, Jan Hackett, Stephen Weisz, Geoff Schaller (by invitation)
Apologies: Clive Hope, Brian Morgan, Christine Parkin, Yvonne Minton
Minutes: minutes of the last meeting were circulated
The IC is not perceived as achieving a great deal. We need to reach our goals and let people know what has been decided.
We don’t believe that the best outcome for bridge will come through working with the VBA. An independent structure needs to be developed. A regional representative structure allows all players in Victoria to have representation.
There was a discussion of how those reps should be elected. The decision was to allow each region to determine its own method since the established regions have a system of electing office bearers. There was a feeling that private clubs should not be treated differently, however, those members should be encouraged to join the ABF.
We need to look at possible constitutional formats. There was a discussion of other states’ constitutions and how successful they were.
S. Weisz noted that we need to give the VBA a plan and outline of finances for the new group. Q. van Abbe raised the need to liaise with N. Ewart (who has agreed to help the IC) to ascertain what funds are available to the state and where they come from.
There was a discussion of funds and expenses. It was noted that an independent body would not have some of the current expenses
Also discussed were the number of state events run each year. Q. van Abbe stated that selection events were definitely state events, however, some of the others listed were not as clear.
Q. van Abbe reiterated the need to look at finances. D. Lavers’ previous figures are probably still relevant but need to be updated. Quentin will speak to Neil, and Doug may be willing to work on the information again.
S. Weisz repeated that everything must be presented to the VBA. It must have a chance to dispute points. This should probably be brought up in a joint meeting between the VBA and the IC.
Signatories: we need new signatories for the account. Quentin van Abbe and Stephen Weisz are to be added and Doug Lavers is to be approached to remain. If it proves necessary to open a new account, it was resolved this should be done and new signatories set up, who would be Quentin van Abbe, Stephen Weisz, and one other. Moved QvA, seconded JH.
Quentin to speak to Neil and Doug re finances
Quentin for find examples of constitutions and distribute to IC members. Members are to send comments back to him.
Jan to update information on number of players and regional groups
Information to be sent to all clubs
Ask regions to elect a representative/delegate. Stress the importance of this position.
Hold a meeting with the regional reps to add any information or make any changes
Meet with the VBA to present the plan
These are to be completed by July
Next meeting: 21st Feb. 7:30 p.m. Venue to be decided.
Meeting closed: 4:10 p.m.